The village montessori approach
Our Preschool Curriculum is based on the Montessori Method and combines both literacy and monthly enrichment classes.
Our Kindergarten Curriculum is based on South Carolina standards. We reinforce traditional lessons with Montessori materials, particularly in the areas of language arts, literacy, math and science. Monthly enrichment classes are included.
At Village Montessori we...
- Meet children where they are in their development and individualize instruction to nurture their development in the four developmental planes of the Whole Child Approach: social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
- Offer pre-primary (toddler) and primary (preschool) classrooms for children aged 12 months through 5 years; our primary classrooms provide a mixed age environment meant to foster a community of learners with differing skill levels to promote leadership and perseverance.
- Prepare transitional kindergarten students (those turning five soon after September 1st) for kindergarten by immersing children in a literacy- and math-rich environment with continual assessments that are stress-free and fun.
- Offer afterschool care, childcare on public school teacher work days and breaks, and summer camps.
- Teach Montessori's grace and courtesy at every opportunity as well as Christian values through the use of age-appropriate devotionals, which teachers incorporate into the weekly curriculum (parents may opt out of the Christian practices).
- Allow freedom of movement and choice during the Montessori work cycle; teachers provide the guidance and know-how to enable a group of children to work independently and harmoniously amongst and with their peers.
- Celebrate diversity through festivals and events that teach children acceptance, tolerance and about the beauty of the things that make each of us unique.